Wednesday, October 1, 2008

sparkle


The old farmhouse has some dark and slightly atmospheric  (I don't want to say gloomy) corners.   A good solution, I have found, is a little bit of sparkle.   I'm a bit of a magpie when it comes to these crystal adornments for the house, and over the years I've found a few vintage pieces that I would grab and take with me if the house was ever on fire (people and pets first of course).

These lovelies are a couple of my favourites.   They have recently sustained some additional 'antiquing' due to a certain exercise ball incident involving two small and energetic boys and a set of stairs.  Oh well, what are a few chips and dings.



And gosh, you wouldn't want that crystal to shine too brightly.  This is a historical  house, you know.  So in the spirit of true authenticity, I leave a very healthy coating of dust on all the crystal gew-gaws.  It's the least I can do.



3 comments:

Heidi the Hick said...

Cool! I leave a healthy amount of dust on everything too, even though my house isn't exactly historical. I like to call in Mid-century modern, which i really just a nice way to say 50s bungalow in the burbs...

But I grew up in one of those gloomy ol farmhouses. It's still got gloomy corners. (I love it!) My parents are way too practical in a Mennonite farmer kind of way to hang anything that fancy though.

I might. I'm a rebel that way. I'll take the chipped chandelier. Are those real candles? Niiiice!

Unknown said...

Very lovely...

Yes it is hard to keep things in order with the kids banging around, but we would not have it any other way right? The chips add character.

annie

hayseed said...

annie:yes, with kids, imperfection is the order of the day!

heidi:not much practicality around here, and yep, real candles, baby