Sunday, September 21, 2008

post-weekend post


Let me start things off by posting a picture of a very interesting fungus I found in the bush beside my house.  Here it is:




The thing is, I was actually on the lookout for a frog to photograph.  This summer was so damp that there was a virtual boon of frogs.  A bonanza of frogs.  A plenitude of....you get the picture. Anyway, there I was, sitting on the back porch with my feet up (only for a moment, you understand, really, I rarely get to sit down) and a glass of , um, apple juice ....


......trying to think of a way of making this post more interesting.  Oh, and the mary-jane shoes with the white socks?  I know.  Who would wear that.  Here's the thing:  it doesn't matter what get-up you wear out here.  Pretty much anything goes, and frankly, my toes were chilly.  So there. 

 I had some photos of a vintage candle-holder and a matching frog vase filled with mums (mums that I grew myself , no less).



And while pretty enough in a bland sort of way,  the photos lacked a certain zest.  


I thought if I might find a real live frog and perhaps set it down beside the frog vase, I might succeed in creating an unusual and interesting juxtaposition ( and also grossing out a whole bunch of people, since that is my kitchen table)....hey, it's tough being inventive and creative out here in the blogosphere O.K?

 My search for Mr.  Froggy, alas, was less than fruitful and the only remotely interesting thing I found was the aforementioned fungus.  You will be comforted to know that I will resume my search today, and we may  get our frog yet.  You're so excited you can't stand it.

9 comments:

Unknown said...

We have a lot of frogs here too. They live in the basement window wells. We used to take them out because we thought they were trapped. But they would always come back. So now we leave them alone and they just live down there...they burrow down in the winter. Very interesting...
I think I am repeating myself but it looks so gorgeous there. That view you have OMG!

Enjoy your week,

annie

Coffeypot said...

There's a fungus among us. Did you find out what kind it is? My luck it would be a biohazard type that would take out the neighborhood. No! Wait! That was a movie on SciFi. I think you are safe.

hayseed said...

Thanks Annie! We had a toad living by the back door, I hear they are territorial...But I think they're hibernating! You have a great week too!

hayseed said...

Coffeypot, I think it's some kind of tree fungus, ....hmmm maybe I should invest in a few naturalists' guides, I'm no expert (in that area) (or any area, really).

Anonymous said...

Love the fungus! It's the time for whopping great mushrooms over here - ready to be picked and eaten...

As for that frog, I can hardly stand the waiting!

Anonymous said...

Hi I found your blog from PW.
I am taking a little tour and thought I would say HI! :)

Anonymous said...

Sorry I clicked the wrong thing and my blog name was not correct. This is really it!

hayseed said...

thanks everyone, for stopping by. Still looking for the frog

Anonymous said...

We get lots of teeny frogs around the frame of our front door at night. They freak me out when I go in and out.