Sunday, January 4, 2009

not necessarily wiser


The time right after Christmas includes my wedding anniversary and my birthday which I share with my son.  This year we turned 14 and 43.  Ouch.  Although, I must say, 43 isn't that much worse a number than 42, so I can deal.  It's a lot of celebrating, though, and we generally 'opt out'  of a big shindig.  My son and I, we're anti-birthday.  It's just too close to Christmas, and we enjoy being grouchy about it.



Here we are, about to blow out the candles on our cake, which my daughter kindly baked.  (I'm posting this picture, if only to prove that I don't have two noses and three arms, although a third arm could come in handy around here on certain days).


I had to suspend the grouch routine in order to laugh at my son.  He has a great sense of humour.   I must say, though, I'm glad all the celebrating is over, and I'm looking forward to getting back to a (somewhat) peaceful routine.



Birthdays.  Harrumph.

11 comments:

RURAL said...

Uh ha, birthdays grump, Uh ha!

Well Happy Birthday to both of you anyways! LOL. And Happy Anniversary.

What beautiful roses you have there, great shots of them also. I love that color, it looks like they have been dusted with icing sugar.

"43" is not that bad, been there, done that.

Jen

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday, groucho! I love the roses - and especially the last shot of the vase!

Leenie said...

It IS tough to share your birthday with a holiday. Had a son on Dec 26. He always felt cheated so we celbrated again in June. Happy Birthday, anyway. PS sort of new to your blog. Would like to see more of what is under that beautiful brown and white hide.

P said...

Oh my God. YOU'RE PRETTY TOO. It's all TOO MUCH!

Happy birthday, dear Hayseed. Hope you and your boy had a fabulous day being grouchy.

RURAL said...

Just so you do realize that the snow post is all, honestly, well mostly, well kind of..... tongue in cheek.

Jen

Heidi the Hick said...

ha, my dad's birthday is Jan 4! He just turned 66. He's his usual mellow self about it, nothing to get flustered about.

THis is a weird time of year, isn't it?

You and your boy are both quite adorable, I gotta say! Happy birthday and happy new year!

Unknown said...

Happy Birthday Hayseed! I think that is cool that you had your son on your birthday...

I agree 43 is not bad...could be worse, right?

Anonymous said...

Happy birthday! I am right behing you. I will be 43 in February.

http://sprucehill.typepad.com/

Tami Weingartner said...

Happy Happy Birthday. The roses are lovely. And the shot of the vase is unique.

Rechelle said...

In the month of December we have three family birthdays! My husband and two of my sons. It is very difficult to stay excited by the time that last birthday rolls around.

Maggie May said...

hi! i have three kids too and we always wanted to live on a farm. to say i love horses is putting it mildly! Happy Birthday!