Tuesday, September 22, 2009

for those with soft hearts


My husband grew up in the country, and as such, he isn't very sentimental about our animals.  To him, they serve a purpose.  Dogs are for guarding the property, and alerting us to anyone coming in the long laneway, and for an overall sense of security in this somewhat remote place.  And also to keep the coyotes away from the horses.  Cats are for rodent control, and other than that, he doesn't really feel they have a purpose.  He does enjoy the horses, but doesn't really spend that much time grooming and fussing over them.

He doesn't talk 'baby talk' to the dogs, doesn't kiss the kitty and carry her around while rubbing her belly, doesn't coo to the horses and tell them how sweet they are.  That's what I do.  He does do one thing, though, which gives away his soft heart.


He is our resident bird and small animal rescuer.  Ma nature is often cruel, and out here there seems to be a steady supply of birds pushed out of nests, and little creatures (mostly bunnies) separated from their mothers (usually because the dogs have nabbed them and carried them away).

My approach is to carry the animal to safety and then let nature take its course.  The animals usually don't make it, and our success rate in the past has been something like 1%.  My husband, however, always takes action, which usually involves intervention in the form of food, water, some sort of cardboard box, towels, and internet research to make sure he's done everything he can (with the enthusiastic assistance of the kids).  He once built a splint for a baby blue jay out of a popsicle stick.  He then called animal control to come and fetch the bird from a town one half-hour away.  I still tease him about it.

Here's his latest rescue.  This birdie made it-I hope it has a long and happy life.

6 comments:

What Possessed Me said...

Oh man, you had me at "bunny."

Mary Olson said...

What a sweet guy! My niece's husband is like that too. I suppose they don't want to be called sweet. I think it's a sign of a good man.

Maria said...

love it

LadyFi said...

Aw... he does care about animals deep down inside!

Far Side of Fifty said...

He must be a sweetie! Sounds like a real nice guy to me! :)

Unknown said...

What a sweet husband you have! My husband is like that too...he is very concerned for animals. I hope the birdy made it!

annie